NOT SO MUMSY’S “FAMOUS” CHICKEN & VEG SOUP
Who would of thought that simply sharing my “fussy toddler” soup recipe on my Instagram stories some months ago would end up going viral? Hundreds, if not thousands of mums, dads and daycare centres from outback Australia to Austria, Brazil, UK and Canada have been sharing their soup success and rave reviews from picky little eaters.
Poppy literally does a happy dance for “soupy” and would eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
I started making it as a way to get bone broth and a mass number of vitamins and nutrients from five vegetables into my kids to boost their immunity, gut health and in turn to help with my daughter’s eczema she developed when I stopped breastfeeding. Even though I refer to it as a “Fussy toddler” soup, it’s great for the whole family - a perfect winter staple. This immune boosting, antioxidant rich recipe is perfect for the whole family. I make it once a week and it lasts 3 or so days for a family of 4.
In the last month or so I have modified the recipe to be even healthier by using AZALEA GRAPESEED OIL. Unlike other cooking oils it has a clean neutral flavour and aroma and a high smoke point so it brings out the flavour of the food, not the oil. The best part? It is full of essential nutrients and essential antioxidants.
It has a high amount polyunsaturated fat, mainly Omega 6, and a natural source of Vitamin E, A & C.
I have started using it for everything - stir-fry, roasting, baking - it’s great for deep frying - and I drizzle it on top of my salads.
Azalea Grapeseed Oil is also known for its natural beauty enhancing properties - and you can use it directly on your skin and hair as a natural beauty treatment. The linoleic acid can help skin conditions like, acne (actually good for oily skin) dermatitis and eczema. The naturally occurring vitamin E keeps the skin firm and smooth. It is easily absorbed by the body, and it can be used for reducing age spots, sun burn, wrinkles and stretch marks as well.
NOW BACK TO THE RECIPE…
2-3 x Zucchini
1x celery stick
500g- 700g Organic boneless chicken thighs
Azaela Grapeseed oil
2- 2.5 cups Chicken bone broth (make sure you choose a yummy tasting broth we love Nutra Organics Grden herb flavour!)
2- 2.5 cups Chicken stock ( made from Massel stock powder)
1/3 500g pack Risoni (can also use pastina or chopped spaghetti or GF pasta of your choice)
1. Brown the chicken thighs (you don’t have to cook through)
2. While they are browning chop the veggies keeping the leek separate
3. Make up the bone broth and stock as per instructions in a jug. Please note quantity will vary depending on pot size, amount of veggies- just fill the pot up.
4. In a large pot (I use a 4L pot) add a drizzle of grapeseed oil and on medium heat, sauté the leek for a minute or so. Add the rest of the veggies and another drizzle of Azalea Grapeseed Oil and sauté, stirring for a few minutes
5. Add browned chicken, bone broth and stock until pot is almost full
6. Add risoni or pasta of choice (this is optional)
7. Bring to the boil then turn down to a really low simmer
8. Stir occasionally and let simmer for 40-50 minutes (until the veggies are really soft for the kids.)
This is a thick stew- like- soup I use risoni because it soaks up the flavours and the kids find it easy to eat (not so messy) If you prefer more liquid, just add more stock or broth. After it is in the fridge it may be too thick the next day, so just add some more broth or stock to desired consistency when re-heating.
If it needs to be a little sweeter or salty for the kids I add some extra stock powder and a bit of sea salt to taste.
That’s it! Head over to @NOTSOMUMSY story highlights to see all the reviews, video tutorials.
Find out more at www.azaleaoils.com
This post was sponsored by Azalea Grapeseed Oil